Two Day. Mental Health First Aider training
(New syllabus launched 28th September 2022)
Warwickshire & the Cotswolds
1. Mental Health First Aider Training: Course Details
Employees at every level.
2 days / 4 sessions.
6 – 8 per course.
Face to face “classroom” delivery at your site.
£325 (inc VAT) per attendee. Includes:
- A course workbook for each attendee including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health.
- A digital manual for each attendee to refer to whenever needed back at the workplace.
- A wallet-sized reference card with the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- MHFA England accreditation certificate.
- Support App (see details further down this page).
Note: MHFA England’s recommended retail price for this course is £325 (plus VAT).
- Understand mental health and the factors that can affect wellness.
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues.
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening.
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, employee assistance programmes, their GP, other specialist practitioners or a combination.
2. Mental Health First Aider Training: Course Syllabus
Across the 4 sessions we’ll cover:
- Mental Health First Aid and the action plan.
- The MHFAider® role and self-care.
- Helpful and unhelpful language.
- Useful models to support the role.
- What influences mental health?
- What is anxiety?
- Crisis first aid.
- Active listening and empathy.
- What are eating disorders?
- What is self-harm?
- What is substance misuse?
- Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- What is depression?
- What is suicide?
- Crisis first aid continued.
- What is psychosis?
- Recovery and lived experience.
- Boundaries in the MHFAider® role.
- Moving forward in the MHFAider® role.
- My MHFA action plan.
3. Mental Health First Aider: Support App
Mental Health First Aiders have access to an app which provides them with:
- Secure conversation logging to make reflective notes to record and reflect while protecting confidentiality (they must avoid logging any personally identifiable information unless they have obtained the data subject’s explicit consent to do so).
- Reminders for wellbeing check-ins with people they are supporting.
- 24/7 text support service through Shout, for advice and reassurance on a Mental Health First Aid conversation or to support your Mental Health First Aider’s own wellbeing after a difficult conversation.
- Resource library of toolkits, guidance, animations and core mental health concepts.
- Signposting database through Hub of Hope to find local and national mental health services for additional mental health first aider support.
- Compatible with iOS and Android and can also be accessed via a web browser.